Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Life in Art

   Thanks to a friend, I went to the Moma (Museum of Modern Art) this past Sunday. I'd forgotten how much I love visiting museums, and I need to get out and see more. Especially when you live in a city bursting with art and creative influences. I only really had two and a half hours to walk through the exhibits before I needed to run to class, and now I've been kicking myself for not spending more time there. Walking through the halls, it is incredible to see so many different individual pieces. Each piece is so unique and inspired. You can almost hear each piece say, "This is my voice. What do you think?" Some I loved, some I hated, some didn't make me feel anything, and some just moved me to an emotional place I hadn't been to in a while. Especially this one:


   This is just the final segment from a huge triptych called "To Be With Art is All We Ask...". To see the rest of the work is stunning. It's this huge manifesto, a love letter to art from the artists Gilbert & George with two side portraits of the artists. You read it and fall deeper into the rabbit hole with each line. Seeing it helped spark something in me. A new appreciation for what I do, why I love it, and why I must share it with the rest of the world. Here in the city, it's easy to become bitter and forget why you even pursue this thing called art. You can learn to hate the work, the process, or the bullshit you have to fight through. I've seen too many people give up on art or themselves. They lose the spark, and at times I worry that it will die out in me too. It's nice to have something feed the fire in you again. To feed your heart, your soul, your mind. Granted, it's also good to keep people around you that inspire you and celebrate what you do. You can't do it alone. It's a paradox. Most of the work you do alone, but you work together with many others to grow, learn, and reach success. Just like good old Gilbert & George here you build something together, but first you must develop yourself. Here in New York, it's easy to surround yourself with creative and talented people, and I'm very grateful for that. They only make you look better, work harder, and be stronger. I've been doing theater for almost twenty years now, and to be moved or pushed to keep growing is a wonderful feeling. It's why I love art. It challenges and brings us moments of sheer brilliance and passion. Seeing this piece at the Moma only heightened my love for what I do and encouraged me to press on. To continue. To fight. To love. And so, to be with art is all I ask...

No comments:

Post a Comment